Well, I have the basics of my blog recovered now, so almost all of my posts going back several years are once again available.
In my last post titled Lesson Re-learned: Backups !, I admitted that I had committed the cardinal sin of making changes to my web site without doing a backup first (walking the tightrope without a net).
Luckily for me I had installed the WP Super Cache plugin, so all of my content actually still existed as static files, and being a bit of a hacker, I was able to throw together some code to effectively recover my posts.
So when I finally got my blog set up to host the few static pages I had, I just changed the directory on my server to have a symbolic link to the directory where wordpress.accuweaver.com had it’s content:
Removed the directory httpdocs from /var/www/vhosts/accuweaver.com
Added a link in that folder to /var/www/vhosts/accuweaver.com/subdomains/wordpress/httpdocs.
This actually worked really well, since the content was only in one place, and all I had to do was change the host name in WordPress. Continue reading →