Homer Simpson
Homer Simpson (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I just shot my blog in the foot, or more accurately, I didn’t follow IT 101 and back things up before making a change.

I had moved my site to be completely WordPress based a while ago, and as a result I had a bit of a convoluted setup on my server.

When I first set up my WordPress blog it was as a sub-domain of accuweaver.com, and was housed at http://wordpress.accuweaver.com/ (also aliased to http://blog.accuweaver.com/). The http://www.accuweaver.com/ site just static pages that hadn’t changed for years.

So when I finally got my blog set up to host the few static pages I had, I just changed the directory on my server to have a symbolic link to the directory where wordpress.accuweaver.com had it’s content:

  1. Removed the directory httpdocs from /var/www/vhosts/accuweaver.com
  2. Added a link in that folder to /var/www/vhosts/accuweaver.com/subdomains/wordpress/httpdocs.

This actually worked really well, since the content was only in one place, and all I had to do was change the host name in WordPress. Continue reading

Just a quick note – I was guided toward doxygen, which is a tool that does source code documentation. It has a DMG installer, that includes an executable to run doxygen with a wizard.

But since my purpose was to run doxygen in an Ant build script, I needed to install the command line version.

I simply looked inside the application, and was able to see that the executable was in /Applications/Doxygen.app/Contents/Resources/

Adding a symbolic link to /usr/local/bin (which is in my PATH) did the trick:

Enhanced by Zemanta