Recently I’ve been seeing a lot of the annoying message about pages dying on Chrome. For the most part it’s just annoying, and clicking “wait” lets the page load.

Until this morning, when for some reason Chrome just stopped letting me get to any of my hosted web sites. Whenever I would go to http://www.accuweaver.com, http://accuweaver.com, http://www.cozybabycare.com or http://www.incdpc.com, I would immediately see a “No data received” message:

No data

 

Continue reading

I was helping out http://www.pmi-sfbac.org whose web site was down.
The server was being unresponsive, and Larry Van Cantfort (the Director of Operations for PMI SFBAC) sent me this clue:
It appears that httpd has a lot of running processes and when I try to kill them I am unable to. THis is causing the server to sloooow way down. There are also error messages from mysqld with a corrupt table:

I couldn’t even get into the control panel to get things going, so the cleanest approach was to simply rebuild the server.
So I shut down the database and started to try and get it backed up so we’d at least save all the hard work of the volunteers.
So I tried to run the dump, with the following command that I got from the Parallels support site:

But that gave me the same error:

A quick Google search and I found the “fix” for this is to run a repair on the tables: http://www.daveperrett.com/articles/2009/06/18/mysql-table-is-marked-as-crashed/

That fixed the issue, and I was able to create the “dumpall.sql”.

Once I had ALL of the tables fixed, I simply rebuilt the server and migrated it into a new database as described in the Parallels KB article mentioned above (a lot more steps to make sure the backup was good, but once it was the newly imaged server was able to run without incident).

Enhanced by Zemanta

I spent some time yesterday figuring out CSS problems for Job Connections.

The Job Connections site was built using a CSS for printing that wasn’t including all of the parts of the page that should be printed. They use a stylesheet called print.css, and when somebody would try to print a page, they weren’t getting anything but the text in the middle of the page.

I took a look and found that the stylesheet was setting all of the region styles to “display: none”, which tells CSS not to display them. Editing the stylesheet to remove these bits was all that was needed, so I set it up to print everything but the menu bar at the top and down the side.

In the same file, there was a reference that looked like an attempt to make the links display as bolded when the page was printed. The code that was trying to do this looked like:

 

That wasn’t working, mostly because the style was being applied to all anchors. I updated it to look like:

This change applied the style to both links and visited links. I then went one step further and added some magic to get the actual link to print (works in CSS2 compliant browsers):

The magic is in the “:after” bit, which basically says “after you display the link, display something else”. With this applied, the links all get bolded, underlined, and are followed by the actual URL in parentheses afterward.

I got access to the web site (thanks to Walt Feigenson), so this is partially fixed now. It looks pretty good except the content still has quite a large area of whitespace to the left due to the way the style sheets are interacting. I’m playing with updating this now to make the print CSS work the way it should and not inherit the styles that cause this from the “screen” CSS.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Recently I’ve entered the world of using the web for self marketing.

I saw a very interesting talk by Walter Feigenson at the last CPC Job Connections meeting about marketing yourself using the web.

I already had a LinkedIn profile, and had my resume on a couple different places, but his talk convinced me that I ought to do some more. So I did the following:

  1. Set up Google reader so I can see all the web changes in one place.
  2. Built a profile on Naymz (http://www.naymz.com), unclear on exactly what this one does.
  3. Ziki (http://www.ziki.com) – Signed up, but never got the validation email. This is supposed to be a job finding service.
  4. Spokeo (http://www.spokeo.com) – Signed up – not clear on what this site does beyond search for names.
  5. Ziggs (http://www.ziggs.com) – Signed up and built profile, this one looks interesting.

Just signing up for these things takes time, getting them to be consistent seems like it will be a pain. It reminds me of posting your resume to all of the job search sites. Not too bad the first time, but then going back to update is going to be hard.

Next thing I did was to add cross links from as many different places as I could to my web site (http://www.accuweaver.com). This is supposed to help with the ranking on the search engines, since the search engines use the assumption that if a lot of sites link to you, you must be important.

I also cleaned up my LinkedIn profile, added links, and added my company to the Companies part of LinkedIn.Then after all of this, I got hit again with the suggestion that I should set up a Facebook profile. Walt had mentioned it, but it took hearing it a few more times for me to act.  It still seems a bit smarmy, and unlikely to be useful as a business networking tool, but we’ll see.

Next: Making sure I’m posted on a huge list of sites I got from Valerie Colber