I just shot my blog in the foot, or more accurately, I didn’t follow IT 101 and back things up before making a change.
I had moved my site to be completely WordPress based a while ago, and as a result I had a bit of a convoluted setup on my server.
When I first set up my WordPress blog it was as a sub-domain of accuweaver.com, and was housed at http://wordpress.accuweaver.com/ (also aliased to http://blog.accuweaver.com/). The http://www.accuweaver.com/ site just static pages that hadn’t changed for years.
So when I finally got my blog set up to host the few static pages I had, I just changed the directory on my server to have a symbolic link to the directory where wordpress.accuweaver.com had it’s content:
- Removed the directory httpdocs from /var/www/vhosts/accuweaver.com
- Added a link in that folder to /var/www/vhosts/accuweaver.com/subdomains/wordpress/httpdocs.
This actually worked really well, since the content was only in one place, and all I had to do was change the host name in WordPress. Continue reading