Recently I’ve been seeing a lot of the annoying message about pages dying on Chrome. For the most part it’s just annoying, and clicking “wait” lets the page load.

Until this morning, when for some reason Chrome just stopped letting me get to any of my hosted web sites. Whenever I would go to http://www.accuweaver.com, http://accuweaver.com, http://www.cozybabycare.com or http://www.incdpc.com, I would immediately see a “No data received” message:

No data

 

Continue reading

I love Firebug, and I’m getting so I understand jQuery pretty well.

I often drop into the console and type in jQuery commands to figure out how to get things to happen on a page. For example, I was looking at a really long page of search results from Taleo that lists out all of my submissions for jobs at CACI. The problem is, that it shows the fully active submissions with the inactive ones, so it’s not very useful for figuring out what I need to follow up on.

 

So it occurred to me that if I could just write a couple lines of jQuery to look for the items that include “Active” in them, I could reduce this list in a way that would be meaningful for me.

So the first thing I did was go look at the page HTML to figure out whether there was something on the page I could use to separate out each row on the search page.

 

 

 

I fired up Firebug by right clicking on one of the items and choosing “Inspect in Firebug”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This starts up Firebug (if it isn’t already showing) and took me to the part of the HTML that I was looking for:

 

 

 

 

 

 

So now I knew I needed to look for something that had a class of “iconcontentpanel” that contained the text “Active”.  I decided to outline it with a green dashed line, so my jQuery looked like:

So I flipped over to the Console in Firebug and tried running that:

 

 

 

 

 

But that gave me an error since there is no jQuery on the original page. But there’s this nifty little thing in the console that says “jQuerify”, and clicking that injects jQuery into the page:

 

 

 

 

 

 

So now that jQuery is available, running the script again gives me what I was looking for:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And of course I can add even more jQuery to strip out unwanted parts of the page, change format, etc, leaving me something that is more  actionable:

Enhanced by Zemanta

I got an email from Microsoft today (Office Insider) that included an article about how to add a calendar to Outlook that would give you the March Madness schedule in Outlook as an example of publicly shared calendars.

Publicly shared calendars are nothing new, they’ve been around for years: Apple created the webcal URI to access iCalendar files using WebDAV (over HTTP) for iCal.

So I figured Microsoft probably wouldn’t have reinvented the wheel here and tried clicking the link in the article to see if it would fire up iCal.

webcals dialog box

Turns out that the URI in the link was very slightly different than a standard iCalendar, so instead of the normal “webcal://” it starts with “webcals://”, which interestingly enough tried to fire up Outlook (in my Windows virtual machine).

Luckily this URI isn’t yet associated with a particular app, so I was able to click on the “Choose an Application” button and pick the iCal application.

Once iCal is chosen, the dialog box shows both Microsoft Outlook and iCal:after choosing iCal

After choosing the iCal application, and clicking “OK”, iCal fires up with a dialog asking you to enter the URL of the calendar you wish to subscribe to, with the URI from the web page showing:

iCal URL entry

Now clicking “Subscribe” of course doesn’t work, since iCal has no idea what to do with “webcals” as a URL.

So to fix this, you have to modify the URI to be either “webcal://” or “http://”  (turns out “https://” works as well).

So even though the URI is not quite the standard webcal one, it is possible to open as a web calendar with iCal, and the same trick works for Google Calendar. Just copy the URI from the link in the page (webcals://calendars.office.microsoft.com/pubcalstorage/9rc05lhz2204226/2011_NCAA_March_Madness_Calendar_Calendar.ics) by right clicking and copying the link:

copy link location

Going to my Google calendar, I then click the little “Add” button at the bottom of the “Other Calendars” area, and choose “Add by URL”.

This brings up the dialog box that lets me add the calendar, and I paste in the URL I copied before, and just edit the first part to be “https”:Add Calendar by URL

Since it’s already a public calendar, I didn’t check that box, although I’m thinking that makes it a public calendar on Google, which might make it easy to find with Google.  At any rate, now the calendar shows up for me both on iCal and Google (obviously it would work in Outlook as well had I followed the original link).

Google calendar with March MadnessiCal with March Madness